Attempting to understand the varying costs between different traffic ticket attorneys can be a daunting task. On the surface there seems to be no distinctive criteria by which someone can justify why one law firm may charge one price and a different firm charge a significantly higher rate for fighting the same traffic offense. There are a number of reasons why this may happen.
This post discusses some of the most common reasons why the fees charged by traffic attorneys/ law firms vary significantly.
The Disparaging Difference
It is not unheard of to have one law firm charge a flat rate fee of $750 for a particular offense while another firm charges as much as $2,500 for the same offense. A person might be led to believe that the substantial difference in cost is justified by the quality and depth of services rendered, but when it comes to basic traffic violations, any work performed is basic and to the point.
There are 2 primary reasons why there is such a disparity in the costs for traffic ticket attorneys.
- There are some firms that use a commission structure to provide incentive for their attorneys to close the deal. Instead of paying these commissions out of the base fee that would normally be charged, many firms pass the cost on to the client. This means that you can end up paying as much as 30 percent more than you would normally pay for the services surrounding your particular case.
- Another reason that costs can vary is that many firms generate a high volume of business, and they are forced to outsource a significant amount of that. This means that you may end up paying the additional cost to cover the firm’s profit margin.
How a firm chooses to handle a case is their prerogative; however, you should not have to foot the bill. There are certain things that you can do to ensure that you are getting the best price for the services that you are receiving. It is important for you understand that you are not looking for cut-rate services but fair pricing. There is a huge difference.
Do a Bit of Research
One of the simplest methodologies to follow in choosing the right traffic ticket attorney is to do a little bit of research.
- Instead of hiring the first firm that you contact, one option is to interview a reasonable number of firms, say 3 to 5 recommended firms.
- When you contact a firm, they may be very convincing in getting you to come in and sign a contract.
- No matter how convincing they may be, wait until you have contacted a number of firms before making a final decision.
- Take time to compare pricing, services being offered and their reputation by checking online reviews.
Ask Questions About Variance in Fees
Take the time to gain an understanding of the median charge for a particular traffic offense.
- In many instances, the median charge may be around $750 and any significant variation should be explained.
- If a firm has fees that are significantly higher than the median, ask them to provide an explanation of why their fees are so high.
Speak to The Attorney/ Law Firm About Their Strategy
You should also ask to speak with the attorney that will be handling your case if you choose to hire them.
- You want to make sure that this attorney actually works for this law firm and is not an attorney that they are outsourcing the case to.
- Keep in mind that the additional costs associated with outsourcing the case to another attorney or firm will likely be recovered from you.
To conclude, there is no reason to pay unnecessary and exorbitant prices to get a traffic ticket dismissed when you can find competent legal representation to help you with your citations at a fraction of the cost. Taking a little time to do your homework will help you save a significant amount of money and get the best of services.