Traffic citations can result in costly fines, and they can have a negative impact on your driving record and even the cost of your auto insurance premium. Some drivers who receive a traffic ticket from law enforcement officers believe that they did not actually break the law, and they do not want to experience the negative financial impact that a ticket would have on them. Others have the desire to fight their traffic ticket because of the point of the matter. They believe that they did not do anything wrong and should not be required to pay the fine.
If you are like many drivers who received a traffic citation, a combination of these factors may spur you to fight your ticket in a court of law, and you may be looking for a knowledgeable and reputable traffic attorney to work with. There are a few steps that you can take to research a traffic attorney.
Consider the Type of Legal Services Provided
Some people who are researching traffic attorneys to work with erroneously believe that all companies that offer legal services are similar. However, one distinctive difference to consider is between a true law firm and a trial by written declaration company.
- A true law firm may assist you with a written declaration of your innocence, but the law firm can also escalate the matter by representing your interests in court.
- The attorney representing your case may have experience with trial work related to traffic citations.
With trial by written declaration companies, you may receive some legal services. However, these are not true law firms.
Research Who Owns the Firm
Some smaller law firms may only have one attorney on staff, and others may have a dozen or more attorneys. Your goal may be to find a reputable attorney with a good track record, and researching the reputation of the law firm and its owner is a first step. There are a few steps to accomplish this:
- Determine who owns the law firm by reviewing the website for the California Bar Association.
- Research the licensing of the attorney.
- Research the total experience that the attorney in question has with traffic citation cases.
Keep in mind that some attorneys may have experience with different types of law, and you are most concerned with finding a law firm with experience in this specific area of the law. When you find a reputable, established law firm with experience in this area of the law, you can then select the attorney from this firm who you wish to work with for your traffic citation case.
Read Online Reviews
In addition, take time to research what past clients have said about the law firm in general as well as what has been said about specific attorney who you are thinking about working with.
- While there are several review sites that you can use, Google and Yelp often have many reviews.
- Keep in mind that online reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt, and it may be difficult for any type of company to please every client. However,
- As you read online reviews, take note of general themes that are present in the majority of the reviews.
- Look for comments about how accessible the attorney was throughout the legal process
- The ability of the attorney to achieve success with cases, and
- If the attorney was courteous and respectful to the client and other related information.
While there may be a couple of negative reviews, the attorney that you may opt to work with may have an overwhelming number of positive reviews.
Fighting a traffic citation can be stressful, and the process may seem complicated. By researching attorneys, you are taking the first step to receive sound legal support and representation throughout the process.