Unfortunately, it’s been a busy day at the office and you’re running late for your child’s soccer practice. Your full of anxiety because you thrive on being on time and you went through a yellow caution light to get to the practice meet in a hurry. You get to the practice meet and everything goes great and you and the family grab a pizza after the meet for dinner.
Life goes on and it’s been a few weeks and you receive a letter in the mail from the local city law enforcement addressed to you. You open it only to find you’re like thousands of individuals nationwide who have received a photo traffic citation.
What To Do When You Receive A Photo Citation
You’ve got photo citation, now what?
- The first thing you want to do is access the ticket information, make sure it’s your license plate, you’re the actual driver, and reflect or confirm the timing.
- You should also confirm the location of the citation because this is a very important part of your defense against the citation.
This is also a great time to decide, if you’re going to acquire legal counsel to help in your defense or if you’ll simply pay without contesting.
Why Did I Receive A Photo Traffic Citation
There are typically (3) photo citations individuals can and will receive.
- Running a red light
- Hit & run traffic offenses
- Illegally stopped in a crosswalk
If you feel like you didn’t commit the actions you can appear in court and dispute the charges, but this should only be used if you have proof you weren’t the driver because this can cost additional court cost fees if you’re found guilty by the court.
There is a deadline attached to all photo traffic citations issued by the municipality in your area.
- If you decide to pay the citation there are instructions listed on the citation. You can also visit the clerk’s office for assistance with your citation.
- They online pay option will allow you to pay online with a valid payment method. Pay your citation with a credit, debit, or check card and there is a fee on all checks sent back for non sufficient funds.
- Online gives you the convenience of resolving your ticket right away. You should only pay the fine, if you’re absolutely sure it’s you.
Decision To Hire A Professional
A legal professional can help you contest a photo citation with the courts. A traffic defense attorney can help you plead no contest and help you dispute the accusations against you.
- For example, they can help you plea and get the charges reduced to avoid accumulating points on your driving record or losing your license.
- They may also get the court to dismiss the charges in exchange for a designated amount of hours in a driving classes.
- They’ll provide you with a free consultation to discuss your unique photo citation and your chances of being acquitted.
Sure, you’ve received a photo citation, but you will survive. If anything, you’ll find yourself spending more time than anything contesting the charges.
It’s more of an inconvenience to send a photo citation, but law enforcement will say, it helps them focus on what’s important to keep the public safe and reduces paperwork. You can decide what action towards the citation works best for you. Be prepared to have proof if you’re going to contest the allegations. Plus, professional legal counsel can help you with your photo citation for a fee, but they may schedule a payment plan to help you with your defense.